Saturday, January 9, 2010

Beautiful by: Amy Reed

Beautiful by: Amy Reed

Published:October 6,2009 by Simon Pulse
Summary: When thirteen-year-old Cassie moves to a suburb of Seattle,she is determined to leave her boring,good-girl existence behind. She chooses some dangerous new friends and is quickly caught up in the fast-paced world of drugs,sex,secrets,and cruelty.
Cassie's new existence both thrills and terrifies her. She embraces the numbness she feels from the drugs,sleeping with an older boy,and gets pulled into a twisted friendship triangle that is tinged with violence and abuse. Cassie is trapped in a swift downward spiral,and there's no turning back.
Review: Beautiful was a great novel that reminded me of Go Ask Alice.
The book starts off with seventh grader Cassie moving to a new town and meeting an older girl,Alex. Alex does drugs and soon drags Cassie into her world. Soon Cassie finds herself addicted to prescription drugs and an older boyfriend. But as much as she wants to,she cant escape.
Beautiful was great. The characters felt very real and the book itself felt very real. The author went into great details on her drug addiction and her other problems. I liked the ending too. I never saw it coming and I also liked how it ended on a happy note.
What I didn't like about Beautiful was that Cassie,the main character,was such a pushover. Alex,her "best friend", was a mean,drug addicted whore. End of story. She would treat Cassie like crap and Cassie would just take it. I was waiting for her to stick up for herself! I also didn't like how old Cassie was. I thought 7th grade was too young,maybe if she was in 9th I would have liked it more.
Overall: A near perfect novel
4.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment