Monday, December 6, 2010

The Outsiders by: S.E. Hinton

The Outsiders by: S.E. Hinton

Published: 1967 by Puffin

Summary: According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser. This classic, written by S. E. Hinton when she was 16 years old, is as profound today as it was when it was first published in 1967.

Review: Ponyboy's life has always been tough. His parents are dead, he and his older brother Darry fight all the time, and their rival gang,the Socs,have been on his gang's tail. Little does Ponyboy know that his and his friends' lives will soon change forever.

The Outsiders is an AMAZING book. Even though it is a bit of an old book, it still feels so real. All of the characters were amazing. By the end, I was at tears. Which I don't really understand since I already read this, while I still thought it was really good, this time it blew me away.

The Greasers (Ponyboy's gang) is made up of Pony, Darry, and Soda-Pop( Pony's brothers) Dally, Randy,Two-Bit Matthews, and Johnny. I have to say I loved them all. But, my favorite characters would have to be Ponyboy, Johnny, Dally, and Two-Bit Matthews. I loved them from Dally's heartless attitude to Two-bit's awesome sense of humor. I also really liked the conversations between Cherry and Ponyboy ( Very Cute!)

S.E. Hinton's writing is amazing. Ponyboy is reallt realistic and so is the other characters. The end had me at tears and wouldn't let me stop reading it. The Outsiders was amazing.

Overall: If it had me cry then it's amazing.

5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment